Saturday, February 13, 2010

The Winter Games Begin

I'll remember the start of the 2010 Winter Games because of the snow. On the day I was scheduled to fly to Vancouver, we were dealt another haymaker in NJ by Mother Nature, who decided to dump 18 inches of the white stuff. It was the second major snowfall in less than a week and canceled all flights from Philadelphia and most other airports in the Northeast -- almost 2,000 by some accounts.

When all was said and done, Delta couldn't reschedule me on another flight out until Saturday morning.

I ended up missing the Opening Ceremonies -- as well as the chance to get settled and adjusted before the chaos of the Games began -- but made the best of it by enjoying my own Winter Games with the girls at home. Hey, when life gives you snow, you make a snowman. Or a fort. Or dig a tunnel through the massive snow bank outside your front door.











Ultimately, I did make it to Vancouver -- going from snow in the Northeast to rain in the Northwest. I was three days later than anticipated, but I arrived less than an hour after the first medal was decided. There was no time to ease into things -- just had to hit the ground running.


No comments: