Monday, February 15, 2010

In Vancouver

After a three-day delay thanks to the crazy amount of snow that slammed the East coast, I finally arrived in Vancouver via Minneapolis in time for the first day of Olympic competition.

We have a significantly smaller contingent on site than at the Beijing Games, with just me, Butch (from our Atlanta bureau), Dave (from Toronto) and Chris (from Vancouver).

Butch, Dave and I outside the Main Press Center (MPC) in downtown Vancouver.

After arriving at the Vancouver airport, I caught the light rail train to my downtown home for the next three weeks, the Hotel Carmona.


Behind the totem poles to the left, you can see the train peeking out as it makes its way into the airport station. I quickly found that the snow in the northeast was nowhere to be found here in Canada, where rain was the order of the day -- and I had forgotten to pack an umbrella..






After hustling a couple blocks from the train station with my bags in the rain, I made it to the Carmana Plaza Hotel, which would be my home away from home for three weeks.
It's an extended-stay type of place, with several rooms including a full kitchen and a balcony with decent views of the city. I'm sharing the place with Butch, who's a decent enough sort. He did takc the fold-out couch we got stuck with, although that was only because the TV is directly in front of it.

Her'e's my bedroom to the right. It's an adjustment to have a bed all to myself. I'm used to jockeying for position with the kids while trying to avoid being pushed off the bed..





The hotel is about 15 minutes from the Main Press Center, which is right on the water with incredible views of the mountains in the distance.

Bloomberg's Vancouver office is en route to the MPC -- here's the entrance with the very Canadian eagle/wolf sculpture out front.
A look at the outside of the Main Press Center, which is where I've spent the majority of my time early in the Games. While Butch was up at Whistler handling everything luge -- after the unfortunate death of the Georgian sledder during a training run -- I held down the fort at the MPC writing our running and roundup stories.
Above is the main work room in the MPC, where we're joined by hundreds of fellow journalists from around the world. Always interesting to see how much the guys from other countries can be total "Homers," loudly cheering on their countrymen during events. In the U.S., we're always taught there's "no cheering in the pressbox", but that's certainly not the case at the Olympics.. The ever-present Olympics McDonald's in the media center. McDonald's is an Olympic sponsor after all! It's one of several meal options in the dining area, where I've yet to sample the Ploughman's Special at the Canadian food counter.
Here's a look from outside the media center -- this is the international broadcast center next door where many of the TV networks have their studios set up during the Games.


A couple more pics from the deck outside the workroom -- very cool to hear the pontoon airplanes taking off from the water and then flying into the distance toward the mountains!

1 comment:

Scott G. said...

Thanks for the insider's peek at the media center. Very cool. Was it built especially for the olympics?

Reporters cheering on their nation? That's weak.

P.S. That sculpture in front of the Bloomberg building is disturbing.